My last post was 2 weeks ago and I honestly can't tell you where those days have gone. When I was writing my post last time, it was early Friday morning, and I was expecting the moving truck to come later that day to get my stuff. They never showed. So later that day, I called AVL back and they said that they were going to try to get a truck to me Saturday, or worse case scenario, Sunday morning. I told them that "worst case scenario" was not an option, because I was leaving to fly to New Jersey that day.
Long story short, the moving truck showed up at 8 am on Sunday morning, and I had to pay an extra $100 to cancel my flight to NJ. I was SO pissed!!!
I ended up staying in Dothan until Tuesday, because I took my time cleaning out the apartment and loading my car up with all my stuff, and I wanted to be able to see people before I left. I left on Tuesday around dinnertime and got up to Auburn around 7:30. Heather was out to dinner with her bosses and some co-workers, so I let myself in and tried to get Harley and I settled. Originally, I was going to stay for a week, but I'm allergic to her precious little dogs, Emmie Lou and Rosie. I hate that some dogs make me sneeze like no other. Luckily, though, I found some allergy medicine at WalMart that worked, and I spent my entire time at her house drugged up on the medicine.
While I was there, Mom called me and told me about some possible openings in Stafford County. So I headed over to Panera (Heather didn't have internet) and I applied to the jobs. However, I'm on such a "I need a job" kick, I decided I would also email the principals at the schools I applied to just to let them know I was interested in their schools and that I've already applied to the positions they have available. I figured it would be a long stretch considering I've done this before, and all I got were emails telling me "Thanks for your interest in our school. If you're chosen for an interview, we'll call you." This time, however, it worked! I got an email from one principal and a phone call from another! Go me!
So, considering the fact that they were interested and calling/emailing for an interview, and the fact that I am allergic to Emmie Lou and Rosie, I decided to leave Auburn early and head to North Carolina to see Chelsea. I was going to stay with her for three nights and then head up to VA on Wednesday morning. But after talking to the principals that contacted me, I learned that they were hoping to fill the positions fairly soon since New Teacher Orientation starts next week. So I changed my plans again.
I left Auburn that Sunday, the 7th, and drove to North Carolina to see Chelsea. Instead of staying with her for a few nights like I had originally planned, I only visited with her for a few hours. I did a load of laundry and we went to lunch at an Irish pub in downtown Durham. I left Durham around 5 or so and headed up to Aquia. Since I came in earlier than I had planned, Mom and Dad got me a hotel room in Aquia near their RV park. I got within 60 miles of the exit and it got dark real fast and started pouring. When I was about 30 miles away from the exit, Harley decides to use his litterbox to go #2.... Only, he missed the box and got it on the floormat. I was so irritated, but I knew we'd be at the hotel shortly and I'd just clean it up when we got there. Then when I got 5 miles further down the road, the only thing I could see in front of me were brake lights. It took me an hour to go 25 miles, and my car stunk SO bad! We finally got to the hotel, got into our room, and got settled. I woke up to an email on Monday morning from one principal asking if I could go in at 4:00 that afternoon for an interview. And then I got a phone call from the other principal and scheduled that interview for 10:30 yesterday morning. Two interviews in one week. I was so pumped. :)
The first interview seemed to go pretty well. The principal said they were hoping to make a decision by the end of the week. I had my other interview yesterday, and that one went really well. I really liked that principal/AP team. They aren't 100% sure they'll even have a position open yet, but they were hoping to know by the end of the week. While I was in that interview, I got another call from a different school about another interview. Score! Yesterday afternoon, I got a phone call from Hayfield ES asking me to come in to interview for a 2nd grade position. I was so stoked! I would have loved to teach at Hayfield, considering I graduated from Hayfield Secondary.
I woke up today ready for these two interviews. The first one was up in Falls Church. The people on the interview team seemed nice, but I didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling like I did with the two schools in Stafford County. My interview at Hayfield was this afternoon, and I thought it went pretty well, but while I was at the RV with Mom and Dad for dinner, the AP emailed me and told me they chose someone else. I really hate that the school my second interview was at doesn't know for sure if they'll have a position. I feel like if they were to hire me, I'd really enjoy working there. The trek out to Stafford County every day would get old, but thankfully I love driving and listening to music. And I'd be going against the traffic each way, so it wouldn't be too awful bad.
I know a lot of people are in the same, or similar, situations as me because of the economy, but part of me feels like a total failure that I can't get a job. I was told that I was let go because of budget reasons, and that a lot of the teachers let go with DCS were the newer hires. But I know of two first year teachers that were not pink-slipped. And one of the other teachers that was let go at my school... Last year was her third year. It's not fair that we were pink-slipped and other first year teachers were not. What did they do so different or better than me that enabled them to escape the pink-slip boat? I know some things in my class last year were rough, but I've spent a lot of time this summer reflecting and coming up with ways to do things differently next time. I know I need to hand everything to God and let Him work His magic... But it's getting difficult to do that. I'm struggling. I want a job. I want a job so much. I want to put what I've learned from last year to work so that I can prove to myself that I can do this.
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment