This is going to be short since it's already after 1 and I can barely keep my eyes open. I made it to Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada tonight. Shortly after getting through Border Control, I realized that since it's my first time ever driving or being in Canada, entering the country after dark was not the way to go. I had no idea where to go... And I couldn't read the signs. Although... all the bugs that committed suicide on my windshield during the last 50 miles of my trip in the US didn't help matters any. I also should have researched Canadian road signs. I knew things were measured in kilometers and kilometers per hour, but the signs themselves I couldn't understand. Then again... That could go back to the whole suicidal bug issue. Who knows. Tomorrow has the potential to be better.
The trip across the US was pretty good. I was on a bazillion different interstates over the last three days. I realized this morning as I was leaving Rapid City, South Dakota, that the route that I took -- which I planned without the "help" of MapQuest -- was the same one we took 12 years ago when my family and I drove across country from Virginia to Alaska. I passed all the monuments we stopped at back then. I wanted to stop again because I don't really remember the monuments (Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, St. Louis Arch, etc.), nor do I think I was old enough to really appreciate what I was seeing.
Iowa, South Dakota and the Southeastern part of Montana were FLAT as anything... It was so boring. But. Montana made up for it with its Northern part... The mountains up there were beautiful.
I've taken a lot of random pictures while on the road. Eventually, when I can sit down and catch my beath after all this madness, I'll upload them. I've taken a lot of Harley too... It's the only way I can check on him since I can't lean over to the side enough to look in his carrier without swerving off the road. So instead I hold the camera up to the door of the carrier and take a picture. He's been sleeping a LOT on the road... which is AMAZING. The vet in Auburn gave me some sedatives, and I've been giving them to him 1/2 a pill at a time. A whole pill is supposed to knock him out for 6-8 hours... And 1/2 of one will easily knock him out for about 9.
I really need to get some sleep now so I can be alert for tomorrow's 11 hours of driving. As much as I'm enjoying this adventure, I'm ready to just get home and start teaching.
No comments:
Post a Comment