True story... There's a place in Alberta, Canada called Fort Whoop Up. No. Joke. When I left the hotel this morning in Lethbridge, I stopped to get gas and saw a sign for it. I was going to take a picture, but the guy waiting behind me for the gas pump seemed annoyed... I can only imagine what he would have said or done if I had finished getting gas, washing my windshield, and doing everything else I needed to do and then pulled out my camera to take a picture of a sign.
Tonight I'm in Dawson Creek, British Columbia. I set my alarm to go off at 7:30 this morning, and I turned it off and went back to sleep. I ended up not getting up until 9:00. Whoops. I changed and packed up our stuff, and we were on the road by 9:30, give or take a few minutes.
The drive today was pretty uneventful. I was really tired by mid-afternoon, so around 2:45 I pulled over at a rest stop, and took a 30 minute nap in the car. Harley was sleeping, as well. He's such a good traveler... I'm so lucky. And then we get to the hotel and he's ALL over the place. Sniffing everything, getting into everything, etc.
True story #2... While I was driving today, I passed a truck with Alabama license plates. 30 minutes later, I stopped to get gas and there was the truck. There was no one in it, so I proceeded to fill my tank. The guys eventually came back and asked me if I was driving to Alaska. I said I was and one of them said that they were driving to Alaska as well because he was in the Air Force and was being sent to Anchorage. I don't know if they were both in the USAF or if it was just the one guy. I didn't ask what part of Alabama they were from... My bad. But yeah. Small world.
The Alaska Highway starts here in Dawson Creek. I'm kind of nervous about driving it because I don't want to run out of gas. I found this thing online on Dawson Creek's website that has all the gas stations and campgrounds on the Alaska Highway listed. I copied it onto my iPod so that I have the list with me... But it still makes me nervous. I'm driving about 880 miles tomorrow, but because of the speed limits here, MapQuest says it's going to take me about 16.5 hours. I'm not excited at all about that. I've already listened to the majority of my audiobook (The Time Traveler's Wife) that I downloaded from iTunes. I have about 6.5 hours left of it... I need to download another one while I'm thinking about it.
I should go do that now so I can peace out... Sleeping is my favorite part of the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment